The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-05-2012, 05:19 PM   #1
ctandc

Newbie with a '66 Custom LWB

Not a newbie to wrenchin’, especially Chevy’s, but never owned a ’66. Owned a couple of 67-72’s years ago, and actually had a couple of different 78’s. A guy that works with my wife owns a ’66 C-10 Custom LWB. It was his Great Uncle’s truck, who bought it new from my understanding. He’s not a car guy, but wanted to hold onto the truck and actually paid (handsomely I might add) to have some work done on it to get it road worthy. He actually drove it very little, and offered it to me for a possible project, as my 15 y/o son will be driving soon. I actually passed on it, at a very reasonable price, because I had several unforeseen expenses pop up and it wasn’t in the cards. Well earlier this week he emailed me and told me the truck was mine (free) if I wanted it. So of course I said ‘YES!’. I’ll try to remember to post pics.

It’s a straight 6 / 3 on the tree so nothing super fancy. I’ve already bookmarked some threads about adding disk brakes and other things from the site.

It has a good bit of mainly surface rust, but I don’t know what’s lurking underneath yet. Hopefully I’ll have it at the garage this weekend. Since my son actually saw pics and then went and dug around to see what they looked like fixed up, he’s actually excited. Initial plans are to get it roadworthy, get it tagged and driving….then go from there.

We’ve got plenty of time until he’s actually legal to drive, so I figure maybe we’ll do a ‘Rat Rod’ kind of deal, just to see if it fits him, before I go yanking it apart and upgrading etc.

I’m sure I’ll have plenty of questions.

Thanks for the help in advance.
ctandc is offline   Reply With Quote