The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-05-2012, 10:16 PM   #1
lvin4jc

New guy on the boards, I just bought a '63 GMC.

Hey fellas. I just picked up a 1963 GMC 3/4 ton yesterday. She's a 2wd with a 4spd stick and the BB 305 V6.

It's rough but i'm all about rat rods and my plan for this truck is to make a rat rod cruiser out of it. It starts right up and drives well, I just need to get used to not having power steering again.

The plan as of now is to drop it in the rear at least to match the front but hopefully lower (does anyone make an axle flip kit for the '63? I sure haven't found one yet) maybe grind some white walls and drive it.

Future ideas are laying license plates over the wood strips in the bed, peep mirrors to replace the west coast style, a big king chess piece as a shifter knob and i'm debating about satin blue paint over the body as-is.

Really i'd just like to enjoy it as a driver this summer, i've had two projects before that spent all their time in the garage and my guess is that actually driving one would be more fun than that..

Also, I need to admit this because you'll find out sooner or later... ... i'm a Ford guy But these 60-66 trucks are just too cool to resist. First there's the doors that go forward under the windshield because of the slant cab, you can only get a Ford like that in 1956, one year only which makes them hard to find and expensive. And then getting a fleetside bed with a wooden bottom is perfect and AFAIK Ford never did that.

My first truck was a Chevy (1974 Suburban w/427cu dump truck engine) then it's been Fords but with these foreign jobs moving in at an alarming rate I figure us American made guys need to stick together. Can we be friends?

Here's the truck, he put a brand new battery in it yesterday and I paid $850.

http://rapidcity.craigslist.org/cto/2792792680.html
lvin4jc is offline   Reply With Quote