The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-06-2012, 11:26 PM   #11
TX58

Re: Building a garage - any suggestions?

I built my shop/garage last year, 24x30. Plan to add another 20x25 this year, you never have enough room. I had never built anything like this before but my dads old 20x20 garage was falling down already and I needed the space to house my projects. Wish he was alive today to see it, he would love how big it is. I chose to build it with a sloped roof high in the front ( 14ft. ) and lower in the back (12ft.) with 24 ft. 2.5x 8" purlins 3 ft. Apart for the roof. Covered in metal on the exterior and plywood inside.Makes a nice large shop area to work in. I then added a 8 x 20 office/ restroom on the side with a/c heat, double shop sink, mini fridge, 32" flat screen tv/ DVD combo,microwave, and 20" monitor security DVR/ 4 camera surveillance system, and a motion detection alarm system. Put a desk, office chair, and bookshelf with all my manuals and favorite car books. Have plenty of automotive related signs,posters,decals,and diecast all over the place. I also built a 20 x24 metal carport over the front of the building and office. Shop has 8 ft. Roller doors ( prefer 9 ft. But got these really cheap because there're bright yellow) 2 in the front and 1 in the rear. I installed 4 ceiling mounted radiant heaters in the shop this winter and My 80 gallon air compressor and small water heater are housed on the side behind the office. Have a gas grill to BBQ on nice days and just added full lighting under the carport to be able to work late if needed. I love this building but if I had to do it again I would have

Built it bigger
Built it higher slab and ceiling. Office has had water damage after a week long rain storm
Install lift ( plan to do this soon )
Larger doors
Install a shower
built a spray booth ( really want to learn more automotive paint and body)

You be surprised what you can do when you put your mind to it. It took me 3 months to remove the old garage, build a wood fence around the back and sides, then build the main shop and office. March 3rd made a full year since I started. All the money I spent over the years renting storage rooms and mini warehouse's was a waste. I built the whole thing with what it cost me to rent for two years. Build your dream shop and enjoy
Posted via Mobile Device
TX58 is offline   Reply With Quote