The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-09-2012, 12:54 AM   #1
Stepper562

Will It Bolt Right In???

Here my issue guys...one of my buddies just got his 454 freshly rebuilt about a year ago which he put about 10k miles on since.

My 350 is leaking oil from the oil pan, leaking antifreeze from a freezeplug behind the starter and she just looks beat to crap but runs strong as a raped ape hehehe. I was thiking of yaking out the 350, cleaning her up, slapping some vortec heads on her, resealing her and slapping her back in. Untill...my buddy offered me his 454, pan to carb for 450 bucks.

My question is, when I bought my truck about a year ago I ran the vin. The original motor was a 454 which I`m assuming got pulled out and replaced at some time. She has a TH400 with a 2 piece shaft. Will the 454 bolt right in without any issues???

Would you guys choose A) Buy the 454 for $450 bucks and slap it in if it will bolt right in assuming she will cause the truck came with a 454 from factory or? B) Yank out the 350, clean, paint, reseal, Vortec heads, bigger cam etc...for about $1000 with parts, time off work (shes my daily driver)???

Any opinion and Input greatly appreciated.
Stepper562 is offline   Reply With Quote