The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-10-2012, 12:39 AM   #1
wakeup

Selectable Locker Options

I'm looking for some input to help me choose a selectable locker for the rear of my Suburban. I'm just not clear on which type or brand is considered more reliable/stronger.

I've thought about using a limited slip or automatic locker (detroit or similar) but I really want the diff to be open in the event that my wife has to drive on an ice covered road that has not been salted or cleared or what ever is "supposed" to be done to ice covered roads. My theory is that if she breaks traction accelerating with a locked differential, she would loose all of her lateral traction. With just the one wheel spinning, she would still have three other wheels keeping her pointed in the right direction.

So, which type of selectable locker would you recommend and why? Or, tell me why I should go with a limited slip or automatic locker instead.

Thanks.
wakeup is offline   Reply With Quote