The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-12-2012, 10:35 AM   #1
ctandc

65 C10 Disc Brake Conversion - Which route is the best?

I’ve read the sticky (GREAT info BTW – Much thanks to lolife99 for putting those posts together, that took a lot of research and work) and I’m starting to get my head wrapped around what’s involved to swap the ’65 C10 over to disc brakes.

I’ve also read a bunch of different swap threads (thanks to the search feature) and I know that people have done it many different ways.

This is definitely a budget build, but I still want to do it right.

Since I’ll be yanking the body and cleaning / painting the frame, I figured the easiest way to get power disc brakes (and be setup for plug and play power steering) is to rob the entire front suspension, steering box and steering column from a ’73 or newer truck.

It seems besides modifying some holes and possibly drilling a few, the crossmember and newer suspension and brakes bolts right in. I intend on using the entire steering setup from the donor (I’ll replace wear items of course) including steering box and steering column. I also add the benefit of being able to bolt up a factory front swaybar setup as well.

The only “downside” I can see to using the ’73-up entire front crossmember is the fact I need to run some custom brakes lines, where as if I kept the ’65 crossmember I could get conversion brake hoses for the disc brake setup.

Can I keep the ’65 crossmember, but use everything else from the later model donor truck, as per this post HERE?

The one thing that worries me about using the later model crossmember is motor mounts. I'm keeping the 230 engine for now. I can't seem to find a build where someone has done the entire crossmember swap and used a 6cyl.

Has anyone else done this?

What about front end alignment and specs?

Use '65 shocks or newer model?

Springs?

Thanks in advance for any guidance here.

Last edited by ctandc; 03-12-2012 at 10:50 AM.
ctandc is offline   Reply With Quote