The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-17-2012, 07:08 PM   #11
dean jendro
Old and crusty

Re: What did you do to your truck today?

Started the rebuild of the rebuild. In case you missed it search "disaster".
I decided not to restrip the cab because most of the ugly is just surface flash rust from the fire hoses and burnt material in the shop. I'll just hand sand most of the cab with some scotchbrite pads and use a portable blaster with some gentle media, like walnuts or soda in the cracks and difficult areas.

The entire front suspension and disc brake system will need to come off and either be cleaned or replaced. The very front of the frame will need powder coat touchup, if that's possible. The engine will need some looking into and damaged parts replaced. The transmission should be OK. The Entropy LS radiator will have to be replaced, the new alternator, water pump, new compressor and all the new pulleys on the front of the engine will need replacing.

Luckily my new wiring harness and the LS computer and engine harness were not harmed. The Vintage Air system is probably junk also.

To break up the boring sanding I worked some on my big truck grill. It's all chromed and all I need to do is black out the tie bars between and below the letters and pull off the tape. It should really pop when complete.

All in all, it could have been much worse. Someone could have been severely injured or worse and the truck could have been destroyed. It's just more work and that's OK.
Dean
Attached Images