The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-19-2012, 03:11 PM   #1
bowtieguy79
Ephesians 2:8

K5 audio upgrade

I wanted to upgrade the audio system in my K5 but did not want to loose that stock look that the dash had, 1978 Vintage Sanyo 8 track AM/FM, in-dash Stereo provided.

Seen here providing tunes from yesteryear….

I did a lot of internet searches and this write up inspired me to do similar work.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=229621

I like how he kept the original look and was able to use his audio knob to control volume from his Ipod to his sound system. I wanted to do the same but did not want to hack up a good working Stereo, and kind of dig the old school 8 track player!

Lead me to search for an amp volume controller and a Ipod to RCA wire on Amazon.

Here is what I ordered up.

I had a Coustic amp laying around that I used. I also ordered up a pair of 6.5” and 3.5” polks to put in the Blazer. Don’t worry I didn’t cut any holes that where not there when I got the truck, it had a pair of 6” Pioneer’s that matched the Sanyo for age!

I put the amp under the drivers seat to be out of the way and be closer to the driver for adjustments if needed.

Now I can enjoy Pandora, an Ipod/Ipad, an 8 Track or AM/FM

Speakers and cables are all that I ordered, I spent just under $120 for all of it. It sounds amazing, but is missing some much needed bass. I’m planning to add in a 6” bazooka tube behind the spare tire later on this summer. Don’t need to rattle my teeth so that should be plenty, and won’t take up much space either.
bowtieguy79 is offline   Reply With Quote