The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-26-2012, 02:36 PM   #1
Supertommy68

I finally get to work on my 72- Help please

After many years of foolishness, I finally came up with a little money to put into my 72 Cheyenne 10 Super 4x. I want to take on some of this work myself. I am mechanically inclined and learn fast, but am looking for any pointers.

I've had the truck since 1992. I bought it in real good condition, with all the stock stuff there. It had the 350, TH350 and a NP205 Transfer, with highway gears. I being a youngster started my foolishness by lifting it 4", and putting 35" mud tires under it. Naturally, this led to mudding, dents, rust, and the like, leaving most of the side moldings bashed beyond repair or stuck in trees along a narrow trail.
I had a dual exhaust put in it, and the pipes rubbed a hole in the tranny cooler lines, which led to transmission failure. Rather than rebuilding the stock, I opted to get a rebuilt one, so the stock tranny is gone.

Then the rear pinion sheared in half on the freeway, which heated up the 12-bolt pumpkin to glowing and pushed the pinion right through the case. The oil caught fire, which was quite a show in the early morning freeway rush-hour. Anyways, I had the hole fixed but the rear end was warped badly enough that I could never get it set up right again, so it went to the scrap yard.

But the worst was when I was experiencing motor problems. I hired a guy to get it running right and tuned. His bill was pretty high, and he just happened to be restoring a Cheyenne. Guess where my headliner, woodgrain glove box and cluster went?

Needless to say, this truck will never be a numbers-matching resto. But I want it to be a nice driver again, one that looks great and runs great. Since I pull a trailer, it also needs to be able to handle that. Last year, it was everything I could do to go 35 pulling my trailer up a hill. This is a 7000 lb trailer mind you.

What I would like to do is pull the thing down to the frame. I want to blast the frme to get rid of any rust and leftover mud. Then coat it with a real good product that will last a while. Not necessarily rubberized or "rhino" style, but something good. Then I want to go through the motor and drive train. What is the best way to get some more power and torque? I thought about the Edelbrock top-end kit but any suggestions? TH 350 OK or Turbo 400? I want to change to 3/4 ton running gear.

Most of the interior parts have been procured again already, some aftermarket and some stock.

Needs new fenders L&R, and R inner fender, battery box, R rocker panels. Bed sides can have dents pulled I thing. Bed needs coating. Also want to do an underbody coating of some sort. Will probably have it painted professionally. Where should I get the trim?

I am someone who has never done body work before, but am not afraid to try. I just need to know where to start, and any pointers. Anyone want to help me out?
Supertommy68 is offline   Reply With Quote