The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-28-2012, 04:08 PM   #1
OrangeOutlaw

Interior Restoration

Hi all,

I have a 48 chevy 3100.

I have been restoring the interior and I ran into a few questions.

My goal is to deaden sound from my corvette engine and glasspacks in the interior, and the project has turned into a lot more than i can chew.

My first Problem:

I sandblasted off rust inside and there is now sand in the steering column which is making a nice little grinding noise when the wheel is turned.

My second question is:

there are two openings in the rear of the cab that i can only assume is for ventilation.

Can I cover these holes with sheet metal?

third question:

I would like to seal off the old cabin air flow vents on both sides of the truck, on the driver's side the one that opens with a lever and on the passenger side the one that is just a vent. They are in the kicker panels. I basically want to fill in the space behind them with great stuff to deaden sound. Meaning that the Great stuff will be touching the Exterior sheet metal and the interior kickpanel.

My concern? the great stuff absorbing moisture and causing more rust.

For the rest of the deadening project, I will be applying to the bare metal in this order to deaden.

Primer, Truck bed rubber, 2 layers of Peel and seal, 1 layer of Mass Loaded Vinyl, and then the carpet.

I do not know what the can of worms looks like that i just opened, but i would love to hear suggestions. Please, no comments on peel and seal vs dynamat.

Thanks
Attached Images

OrangeOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote