The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-30-2012, 11:04 AM   #11
CC69Rat

Re: Whats your impression of a 5.3L LS motor in these trucks?

Just some numbers to consider:

Daily Driver (using my own)
@ 450miles per week 15mpg I burn 30 gallons. At $5 gl = $150 per week
Same numbers - 25mpg I burn 18 Gallons = $90 week.

I don't drive my trucks every day. Most of us don't if I had to guess.

$240 mo - it would take me about two years to offset the cost of gas @$5000 for my LS swap (done how I would do it). That's a daily driver. No way I drive either one of my trucks 450 miles a week. .. so the time for ROI would be at least 4 years.

$240/mo would pay a monthly payment on a Hyundai, and I get 30+ mpg.

I personally (no disrespect) think the LS swaps are just a craze. The coolness factor, and all the cool kids are doing it. If the 'old school' stuff was going away it would have already gone. Just my opinion. Watch Pass time? How many LS motors do you see. How many big blocks? You want Raw power? How many Top Fuel LS motors have you seen? The Big Blocks still have everything they always had IMO. I'm not about to crush my Big Block just so I can have a 5.3L in my truck. .. just sayin. And it looks like Ole Greenie is still pretty proud of his LS6 @$7500. I would be too.

There's still something to be said about a cleanly detailed carbed motor. I like the LS stuff too, but I just can't justify the cost of the swap or putting an engine in my truck that I haven't gone through myself. I just know more about the old stuff. .. cause I'm old I guess. I have a wife, a mortgage, and a 50hr week job.. My old 350 3OTT will do for now. I can't return $5,000 in the value added to the truck.

If it were a daily I might feel differently but I may put 100 miles a week on my GMC. the rest of the time I ride with my wife, to / from work .. in our Honda CRV.

I'm good with mine as they are for now. $10 a gallon, .. what can we do about it? Crush all the old stuff and sell it for scrap? Why not just buy a new Silverado? Where will they be 43yrs from now? Just my take on it.

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote