The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-04-2012, 06:39 PM   #1
Wolverine

Exclamation Need help, engine wont start + backfire/squeeking noise

I'm sorry if this has been addressed before somewhere but i looked and couldnt find anything really. First off I've got a 66 4x4 with a newer 355, Dart heads, lunati .268 flat tappet cam, forged rods and pistons, scat crank and a carter competition carb. Anyway, I had this engine built in '07 and broke it in on a dyno and then ran it a little bit in my camaro. It sat for a few years and i just dropped it in the truck. It started right up but idled really fast. I saw that the primary throttle blades were sticking so i pulled the carb and cleaned it and got the blades to close. Then at the same time, I dropped a new distributor in and wired it to the MSD 6a box i had in there. After that the engine would turn over, but not start or run for only a second then die if i touched the throttle. I played with the idle adjustments and pulled the dizzy out and fixed the timing a little and put it back in with TDC lined up, etc. Today, the truck is making a squeeking noise form who knows where and make a huge backfire when i tried to start it. Any advice would really help and I'm almost about to give up.
Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote