The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-08-2012, 11:20 AM   #1
DetroitDan

towing with military tires

Anybody got any experience towing with military humvee tires, either the 36s or 37s? I'm still thinking about swapping out my dually axles just so I can run big rubber, but one concern I have is towing. A couple or three times a year I tow a 33 foot travel trailer, weighs between 9 and 10 thousand lbs. It's a lot of trailer. With the dual wheels and 235/85/16 tires it tows great, even better than my 97 diesel dually did with 255/85/16s. Quite a bit better actually.

I know increasing the sidewall so dramatically is generally bad, my 35/12.50 ATs were terrible with just a 24' trailer, but those were only a load range C tire. I know the militarys are hard as a rock, so sidewall flex should be minimized. Humvees can tow stuff, can't they?

I seem to remember reading that the 37s are a much better tire, which is unfortunate because the 36s look cool and the 37s look dumb, plus I'd be a little closer to legal height with a 36. How bad are the 36s?

Lastly, I had planned on trying to find a set of M1008 axles, so I'd get srw, a locker, and 4.56 gears to help with the height increase. Right now I've got 4.10 gears. But guys running big tires are telling me that I don't really want all that gear, and to stay with a 4.10. I really don't need gear for climbing or wheeling, it's a street truck for the most part. Guy I know has 40s on a M1008and it still wails on the highway. So, you think 4.10s with 36 or 37s would still pull ok? At least as well as a Hummer? I usually don't exceed 55 mph towing, and it's only a couple 100 mile trips a year. Rest of the time it's an empty DD. I dont think I really want to go 4.56 unless I absolutely have to. Motor is a low mileage bone stock 454. I'd like to do a cam, intake and carb swap to improve the mileage and drivability. Always had tremendous luck with the Edelbrock Performer series, personally.