The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-09-2012, 07:51 PM   #11
Rob H.

Re: What did you do to your truck today!

I finished up my 4 speed swap Saturday, knowing I'd have to pull the driveshaft again to replace the U joints, I had to make the rear section of the driveshaft to mate it to the 10 bolt. I spent a couple hours at the junkyard trying to find one the length I needed with no luck so some work with the grinder and chopsaw and welder and I was in business. The carrier bearing looked to be pretty decent still so wasn't too worried about it. Drove it to church yesterday morning then out to eat and to the parts store to pick up the U joints and rear brake shoes. Dropped my wife off at the grocery store and ran to get gas, that's when it happened, the carrier bearing seized and spun the rubber out of it. Limped it to home as it wasn't slapping around too much till later. Took it out and beat off the old bearing and called it a day. After my morning class today I stopped and picked up a new carrier bearing. Got in this afternoon from my bus route and got the new front U joint in and the new carrier bearing on and put in the front section of driveshaft. Hopefully tomorrow I'll get the the other two U joints in and the rear shaft back in the truck. I love the truck with the 4 speed now! Next is replacing the rear brakes. Then I'll move onto new rockers and cab corners!
1952 Super "A" Farmall (Grandfather's)