The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-09-2012, 08:32 PM   #1
cetacean6

Location: I live in Honolulu but my truck is being restored by 4-5-6 Trucks in Kansas City
Member intro, 1963 GMC K1500 Crew Cab w/351 V6

Hi all,
My name is Rob, and I live in Honolulu Hawaii. I'm 35 and have two daughters, 7 and 2 years old. I bought my first truck, a 1949 Ford F1, when I was 14 and fixed it up over the next year or so. Before I had a license, though, I sold that and got a lowered 1968 C10 Stepside with a little 2-something-6-banger. It’s the best vehicle I’ve ever owned. When I turned 18, I went into the Navy for 5 years and unfortunately sold that truck when I got shipped to Japan.
Once I had my first kid, I needed something with 4 doors, and the options just weren't there for an old truck guy like me. But about 18 months ago, my high school best friend (and eventual best man) died very suddenly. I was thrown back into the small town in Washington State where I grew up, and began to reminisce. I began looking for that old stepside and eventually found out that yes, there actually were 4-door trucks made back then. I widened my search for either my old truck or a crew cab which I could fix up and carry my family around. While on the internet searching, I happened to find Tobytuttle’s thread about the crew cab he found. I immediately signed up and sent him a PM stating that I had money at the ready if he wasn’t going to purchase that truck. After some talking online and on the phone, I sent him the money. Tomorrow it will be on a boat headed to Tacoma, where I’ll have someone pick it up and take it to my parents’ for storage.
Unfortunately, I will not be able to complete this build in Hawaii. I bought a 64 ½ Mustang convertible here a few years ago, but ended up selling it because I couldn’t find anyone here that knows how to restore (vs. repair) a classic. I don’t have the option of going to my local pick-n-pull, because every car over 15 years old is rusted through. Shipping parts here is ridiculous in terms of money and time. So I’ve decided to leave the truck in Washington State while I gather enough money to send it to someone who can do the truck justice. For that reason, this will probably not have a build thread. However, any pictures I get, I’ll happily upload to the board.
The truck seems to be a 1963 GMC K1500 crew cab with a 351 V6. According to the original owner, it was running up until the point it was parked a dozen years ago. My plans are to bring it back to its original glory, and perhaps add some options available to that truck when it was bought new.
Finally: Thanks, Toby! You da man!

Aloha,

Rob
cetacean6 is offline   Reply With Quote