The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-17-2012, 12:24 PM   #1
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Transmission Opinions

Here's the deal. I'm starting to haul my car trailer around and picking up autos/trucks. My poor old 2005 Z71 is just not liking it to be perfectly honest, it's almost scary sometimes pulling one home. I have no doubt in my mind that my 87 1/2 ton would do this job easier, if I can get a better transmission behind the engine.

Currently it has a worn out 700R4 that I know I could fry by hauling one load of something. I'm thinking a TH400 would be just fine for a swap, but am worried what all it might entail on the swap. Any insight on this? Thoughts on maybe a TH350 instead? Can a 700R4 be built good enough to be a puller?

I'm also doing a little research to see if I'd rather add some leafs or just put helper bags on it. I'm leaning towards helper bags simply because I could control that and not always have the stiff battlewagon ride.

As always I appreciate input and previous experiences. I wish I could afford to trade my 05 for a nice newer 3/4 4x4, but it just is not in my cards right now. Plus every used 3/4 I find is worn out and high miles. I'm spoiled to my 05 with 50k miles on it.
When the going gets tough, switch to power tools.
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote