The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-18-2012, 11:29 PM   #1
schurg

rust repair panels...wtf?

might be an odd question, obviously many people are well versed in doing the typical rust repair for 67-72. I finally bit the bullet and dismantled my old rig and started cutting out all the cancer. I first pulled what was left of the rocker panels, only to find many, many holes under them...not too surprised. excited to see some metal on it, I took my new replacement rocker and held it up to the truck, it fit rather well (key parts), the bends near the weather stripping are completely wrong, but the rest seems fair. (the weather stripping area has a graceful "S" shape rather then the hard 90degree bends of the oem)
ok, here's the deal, I noticed the oem pillars have recessed areas where the rocker fits, making for a clean surface from rocker to pillar. the new pillar panels have no such indent. I noticed the rocker panel doesnt fit the a-pillar repair panel, it doesnt even fit over it, let alone the actual bends matching. my question(s) is(are): does anyone make an actual 'replacement panel' that is shaped like the oem? and, is this normal with the aftermarket panels not fitting together? it kills me looking at some of the panels, lol, I mean, it's 2012 shouldnt we be able to make panels exactly like the ones in the trucks? rather then a close facsimile? are you guys just putting the rocker over the new a-pillar and trying to blend it with filler? I've kicked around the idea of buying ebfab's dvd's, but that isnt in the budget atm thanks
schurg is offline   Reply With Quote