The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-22-2012, 05:29 AM   #1
406 Q-ship

Cpr 1974

Here is the deal. I bought this 1974 C10 SWB stepper for a pretty good deal after GMAC credit gave me the royal runaround getting a loan on a new truck (who needs a payment anyway). It was tired in some areas but for the most part a good solid truck with a fresh GM Goodwrench 350, a TH350, and not to much else. Well after a mild drop, a suspension rebuild, install of a 700R4, redo and update the interior, rebuild the rear axle with a eaton posi and 3.42's, and then add everything needed to tow. Oh yeah, I replaced the front fenders and both doors along with adding power windows and locks. I did all this in the course of 9 years of owning this truck. Well my father keeps breaking his vehicles and then expects me to run my butt a hundred miles to fix his rides, most of his problems could be fixed if I know about it early. Well that is not what happens, so I do not hear he needs help until the cars of his land on its knees. I finally loan him my truck while I take his GTO to my home to fix all its issues (a ton of them BTW). One day at the sway meet I find a clean 1967 C10 SWB stepper for a very reasonable price, I call Pops to tell him of this find. I will buy the 67 and sell him the 74 for well under what I have in it......hell I did not want to sell it but allow him to use it as a loan.

Forward the clock to last Sept, after 9 months of ownership he has broken the windshield, a stolen stereo, and a stuck float in the Q-jet........and the final coup de grace.........he BLOWS the engine up!!!!!!! ARRRGGGGGG!!!!!

I get a nasty letter telling me how I just was out to screw him over by selling him a piece of junk. To say I was PO would be an extreme under statement, so I give him the money back for the truck, and figure out my next move.

The truck is too nice to just give it away or part it out, so it is either put a junkyard take out, another Goodwrench, or put another small block together.

.......and so begins my tale of resurrection.

Here she is after the suspension in about the condition I found her in

Fenders and door go on and the interior gets updated

A new heart for the girl

stay tuned for more........

Where patience fails, force prevails

Stapp's Ironical Paradox "The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle."
406 Q-ship is offline   Reply With Quote