The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-25-2012, 02:40 PM   #1
towrecker

Exclamation 427 tall deck swap , opinions , ideas , tips and tricks please

what my plan consists of is swap my 383 stroker out for this 60k 427 tall deck I found at my favorite price , it runs , and runs very well might I add , well some of you know my truck some don't , if you don't go over to youtube , and it is all over my 2 channels "towrecker" & "beltstowing" but it is a 63 c30 wrecker , I know this engine should fit without a lot of issues , I also know my trans will bolt up , a 350 flywheel will fit it , and to use a 454 passenger car water pump , and exhaust manifolds , I also know I need a normal oil pan for it too (ordered) it has what I think is somewhere between a 8-10 qt pan (just guessing here) someone will see it in my video about it , and correct me basically what I really need to know are some things someone that has done this as ran into , from what I can tell the small block motor mounts even will fit this monster , but do I have to move the frame mounts around any for it to fit (I know I can measure and see ) I am worried about up and down in the chassis , not front to back on them , I have never really seen on of these trucks with a big block that were not heavily modified , and mine is not frame & front end is 100% as chevy built it 50 years ago I don't really like that either , but don't want to change it ...the small indention in the fire wall has me a bit worried being this is a tall deck engine , that will push the heads up and further out in relation to say a 396-454 car or pickup engine , I also plan to run it completely stock , the intake and all , I want low end power to get my 10,000 lb truck moving , and up to speed , because lets face it at speed any engine can keep whats moving , moving , it's the getting there that is hard , and my 383 stroker (oh it sounds really good ) but you have to get the RPM's up to the 4k + range to get any power out of it , and that along with the gearing of the sm420 is not a combo that works period ...if you know my truck from youtube , there will be a 383 to leave my hill btw so keep watching ...Thanks to anyone that has done this swap before , or has any info to offer me in my adventure !!! but please don't tell me it is a boat anchor it would be in a c10 , but in my application this boat anchor will run pull & work very well... loaded my truck is between 14,000 and 18,000 lbs , I really need a truck torque engine you know !

1963 c30 with a holmes 500 type 2 bed (med duty truck sling and all built in )

Thanks for any help !!
drinkin' gas , and crushing fords everyday

Jason Belt
Belts wrecker service
Jonesborough Tn
towrecker is offline   Reply With Quote