The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-27-2012, 02:33 PM   #1
jocko

a rather dumb power vs manual steering question...

If one wanted to convert from a 3-on-the-tree + non-power steering setup - TO - an auto trans (column shift) and power steering....

Would I just need find:
1) an auto column (preferably tilt!)
2) power steering box/hoses
3) double groove pulleys
and of course the trans itself, but that's easy

What other things might I be missing off the top of my head on this upgrade? Mounting considerations/differences between a manual trans setup vs. auto column shift?

There's a sweet little shortwide on ebay - a nice cheyenne with almost no options - already getting bid up a little too rich for my blood, but the idea begged the above questions. (this truck has no power steering, brakes, and a 3 on the tree, but the body is near perfect.... a completely stripped down, low optioned, good body cheyenne shorty). And I got to thinking that if it sold for a reasonable price due to the low options, then I could use that money to do the upgrades i'd like to do on my own (ps, p 4w disk, od trans, etc) and still have the body side of the picture done before i even start.

This master plan came crashing down when I read that it has no title, just bill of sale in that state. Drives me nuts. I know that some states won't issue them for older trucks, and if you never, ever move from that state, well it's just fine, but if you move around a lot like me, there is no way I could buy something like that - would be screwed in most of the states I move to. Really, really wish states could get on the same sheet of music and either all do it or not do it for older vehicles, but crimeny... people move a lot more often these days between states. Just sayin! So, not getting this truck, unfortunately, but I did want to discuss the above power steering + auto trans upgrade combo anyway - wanted to see if there were any specific issues/concerns when doing both simultaneously.

btw, here's the truck if you live in a non-title state and are interested... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1972-...item1e6d91d3b3 My favorite paint combo along with white/red... Ugh.

Thanks!
jocko
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote