The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-29-2012, 01:22 PM   #1
jocko

air bag ride question - off the wall

I have a dumb question from a guys whose truck only gets low when it falls off a jackstand...

I'm interested in air susp, but for the purpose of an improved ride - not necessarily for lowering. (sure, I might air it out at the occasional show, but...) (also, keep in mind my point of reference is a 66... I do recall my 72, when I had it, had a significantly better ride than my 66, but it's been awhile). Posting here because if I do this, it will be on an upcoming 67-72 )

So, what I'm asking is this - has anyone ever installed an air susp and kept the truck at approx stock ride height? What is the ride improvement like? How much does it feel more like a modern vehicle, etc?

I do realize that if I ever want to air it out, there are other mods required of course - but just asking for the purpose of wondering how much better the ride is - firmer, flatter, more responsive, yada yada.

I also realize this is quite an expensive way to skin the cat, but just curious. If I just wanted to lower it, I'd probably just go with a 3/5 or 5/7 kit and call it a day, but am specifically interested in the ride quality with bags, not the lowering aspect. I think the Trucks! show on tv got me interested in this idea because they ranted and raved about the improved ride on their 66 shortbed project.

Was gonna post this in jackyl's thread but didn't want to hijack - there's some good input there on kit selection.
Wish I had a bigger garage...
Thanks!
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote