The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-17-2012, 06:47 AM   #1
Lance-ftw

Yay the ebrake clip came in. *test* *Snap* CRAP!

So...

Truck went in for some surgery a little while back, had it completely re-wired head to toe, added power windows (weee) and got it back.

Problem, first my horn was on a button on the dash from the previous owner being an idiot so my horn didn't work and my parking break never worked... my safety inspection is out and i wanna drive my truck.

So I order the horn replacement for my truck on *Insert website name I'm not going to slander* based on their recommendation through the "Select your vehicle" and it's not even close to the right part. They were nice enough to make it right and when I asked them how I ended up with the wrong part they said it was because I had an aftermarket steering wheel... which is BS, I've seen a number of these trucks, including 1 full restoration to all original and it's the same steering wheel but I digress...

Got the horn working with the new parts and bought a little C clip to fix the parking brake since that's where it was messed up (looks like the last owner tried to hold the two parking brakes together with a peice of clothes hanger bent around the front and rear cables O_O!)

It took me a week to get the freakin C clip and when I put it on, excited to test my brake before running it up to the inspection center I hop back in the cab, start the truck, put it in reverse (the anticipation is building, I'm starting to get excited now) and engage the P-brake, slowly at first, it's been a while and I need to be gentle with her.... I put it in reverse and test it a little, brakes not 'on' enough... it's ok, I'm sure she can take it a little harder. So I push the pedal down with some force and SNAP. The brake cable breaks. (does that make it a break cable?).

So now I'm back hunting for a part and I'm finding a lot of discouraging information. Everywhere I read people order the cables and get the wrong thing and I'm really not in the mood to deal with all of that again so I'm coming here, on bended knee (or at least crooked hands while typing in as prostrated posture as possible while maintaining proper computer use ergonomics) asking for some pro-tips.

I looked at the e-brake cable set up down there and it's.. interesting. My E-brake is apparently some sort of marionette that is tricked into doing it's job properly by a series of cables connected in strange ways to some all powerful controlling hand (the pedal, so a controlling foot?) The cable that broke is the one that goes up to the pedal I believe. I'm not opposed to replacing them all as they all seem to be a little worse for wear now that I look at them adn I'd rather not replace 1 section only to hvae another section break when it was supposed to brake if ya know what I mean... and I think you do.

So, what I typed all of this random nonsense to say is...

I have a 1970 CST-10 Longbed (orange if yer askin) and I need the appropriate E-brake cable set up. I'd like to order parts 'once' this time if possible so if you have a confirmed part number, link to an interweb site, pro-tip, or magic wand, please share and I will forever (or at least until I forget about you) be in your debt.

Thank you in advance for your help, mysterious benefactor.

-Lance

p.s. This is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated.
p.p.s. heh pp.
p.p.p.s I'm not even sure if that's the right format for a third "p.s." but here goes, my tiny dog decided I needed to be awake at 430 this morning and I've been looking at truck parts for an hour before my coffee kicked in so please excuse what was most likely the longest, dumbest post ever asking for help about an e-brake cable.
Lance-ftw is offline   Reply With Quote