The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-26-2003, 01:18 PM   #1
Zilverado
Account Suspended

Unhappy Junk? What do I do???

So it's a done deal - we sold our house and will be moving into our new place on December 1.

In preparation for the move, I've been cleaning up a bunch of miscellaneous parts from my donor '77 which had been laying around loose for a couple of years (truck was disassembled and trashed). Turns out that a bunch of the parts (brake cylinder, cruise control mechanisms, rotors, etc.) that I was holding onto, would not have fit on my 86 anyway, plus they had gotten wet in my storage shed, so they were not really in very good shape - - off to the landfill they went....

But I do still have the old rearend assembly complete with regular 1/2 ton leafsprings and a 3.08 diff (my truck is a heavy half with a 3.07 rear). I know - I can hear all you Power Guys cringe at the 3.07, but with the OD tranny, the mileage is GREAT

So I'm wondering what to do. I was thinking - for lack of storage and moving strain - I would take my torch and cut the axle tube and save only the diff gears (and the housing) and the springs. The rest I'll trash. Or should I keep (or sell) the whole thing?

Also, I still have my old blown out 305 - don't ask me why. What's the easiest way to get this into the back of my truck to haul away? I have no engine hoist, and I'm not sure about my neighbors availability or ability. How hard are they to lift without a hoist and what's the best way? I was thinking of taking all the bolt-ons off, including the manifolds, etc. but that still leaves me with a pretty heavy block, right?

Any thoughts??? Sorry about the blah-blah-blah... I guess the recent sale of our house has me excited.

Zilverado is offline   Reply With Quote