The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-29-2012, 12:23 PM   #1
dubds10
Stalker Nate

64 GMC Fire Command Van project

So since I had to sell off all my truck stuff, still have some parts left but not much, and we're moving I figured I best go buy a grumman or a classic van to store all my tools/car stuff and for when we move so I don't have to pay for a uhaul truck anymore than needed.

So I'm picking up this beast of a van this week hopefully since I have to clear out the garage. It's a '64 GMC "Commercial" van. Originally a command van for Vancouver back in the day, then shipped up to 100 Mile to be used by Search & Rescue. Hasn't been in service for years now and needs some work. Not sure on the body specs but it's a 1.5t+/283/4spd. Luckily it's a manual on the floor. It does run and did drive, might need a little work to get it safely down the road now lol Needs some cosmetic work and a new windshield which'll be the hardest part to find or expensive to have made.

I've got some 8-lug 19.5s so I just need to get some low pro 19.5 tires then I'll put those on it and see if it can be lowered a little bit. Haven't decided if I'll paint it Fire engine red like original or black the whole thing out. Keeping the spot lights and big red fire lights on it.

The idea is to use it for storage/moving and business (ice cream/vending truck).

I've never seen one like this before so if anybody has info let me know. I've seen similar ones and the 1ton or small vans but never a 1.5T-3T van.

Nate
Attached Images

Instagram - TheDonutDiner
FaceBook - @UscreamIscream
dubds10 is offline   Reply With Quote