The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-13-2012, 10:20 PM   #8
BrianDamage

Re: Welding Patch Panels

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
Before I started my truck I had never done any body welding except for spot welding in minor stuff. When I found it was going to cost about $250 per panel to get them fitted, welded and rough ground I decided to try myself. Worst case was I was out the cost of the panel and time. I also got a bad fender and started practicing, cutting out pieces and welding them back in. Also drilled a lot of holes of different sizes and filled them.

On your cab the most important part is going to be making sure the cab is still square and doors are close before your start. Then weld in diagonal cross bracing to keep the bottom of the front jambs where they need to be.

Look thru the build threads here, there are a number of guys that have done what you are doing with detailed information. Once you get the hang of it, then all kinds of ideas start coming since you aren't limited to just what you can bolt or screw on. Good luck!
What do you recommend making the braces out of?
Posted via Mobile Device