The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-19-2012, 10:37 AM   #1
JPalmer81

SS TSL Thornbirds? Opinions?

I am beginning the research into the kind of tire I want for my truck and I am thinking of buying 2 sets, one set for everyday use and another for long road trips and for driving in the snow, the long trip and snow tires are already picked out. So this search is for the everyday puttin' around town and occasional 2-300 mile road trips. First off, I don't want to hear that your cousins brother had a set of Thornbirds and he hated them. i realize they are not for doing heavy duty off road stuff. I want people with first hand experience with these mounted on a heavy truck, not your half ton SWB or jeep. I am putting these on a 7500 lb crew cab. I have always wanted these tires and just so happens they make them in the 16.5 rim so i can get them on some 12" wide white 8 spoke steel rims for a sweet look. The tire size i want to go with is the 33x12.5R16.5 load range "D" with a rating of 2830#'s, so as long as I am not towing a small car in the back of my truck I should be good. I have been scouring the internet looking at all the reviews and it seems like all the bad stuff is second hand info, I DO NOT WANT YOUR SECOND HAND INFO!!! But there are lots of guys that had good things to say about these tires running them on full size 3/4 ton trucks getting good result and pretty respectable mileage.

So, if you have ran these on one of your heavy 3/4 ton trucks in the past or have them on now, please let me know what you think of them, Good or Bad, I would really appreciate it!

My Build Thread:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=516872

"The price of Freedom is Eternal Vigilance"
JPalmer81 is offline   Reply With Quote