The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-03-2012, 11:35 PM   #1
IvanfromtheCrackie

'73 SWB Re-Build

Hey there! Been on the forum, reading for years. Even picked up a Basket Case 54 a while back, dropped good coin on it, only to lose the fire to finish it. Became more of a problem once I found the really heavy rust and no title. So we sold it off to another friend who was heavy into that body style. Worked out for hi pretty good. But since then, it's been ebay, craiglist and local shopping for another project.

All but gave up the ghost until my younger brother called me asking if I was still interested in a Short Wheel Base Squarebody. Who isn't right?! So he told me that he knew of a good builder that ran and had a title that he could go check out for me since he was half way across the state.

Called me the next day, asked me again, and with disappointment in his voice he said..."well I guessed so but I was hoping that you'd say no because I went ahead and picked up the truck. It's yours for what I paid if you want it."

So $600 later, and an almost unbearable drive almost 360 miles with exhaust manifolds only and a driveshaft that came out half a dozen times on the ride home, I have a new project.

Name:  IMG_0725small.jpg
Views: 760
Size:  34.8 KB

Looks like in the short two days my brother had it, he found the clutch was bad so while taking it out, he replaced the entire 6 banger with a "low milage 350 and ultra granny geared 4 speed (floor shift-cut a hole in the floor ) out of a C30 RV.

Name:  IMG_0743small.jpg
Views: 787
Size:  47.2 KB

It looks tired, but runs pretty damn good. This clutch seems to be giving way again, and I've always wanted to put an auto in it so I picked up a used TH400, Torque Converter, Driveshaft, and Flywheel off a wrecked out truck.

One of my Camaro buddies finished up a build on a 69 RS he had and called me up asking if I could use any "spare SBC Parts." Ran over to his place and after a short negotiation, picked up a new in box Holley 750, GM HEI Dizzy, Edelbrock Torker II Manifold, Chrome Alternator, Chrome PS Pump, and Edelbrock Chrome H2O pump. He also had a new in box AC Delco Starter, HP Fuel Pump and Chrome Air Cleaner. Score.

Name:  IMG_0750small.jpg
Views: 774
Size:  40.6 KB

With all this being said, I'm planning on pulling the 350, cleaning her up, painting it, replacing the accessories with all these new ones, replacing the tranny with the TH400 and reinstalling.

The thought of painting it comes to mind as well since I'm a novice/decent painter and have a crapload of "Greens" that I could use to compliement what's already there.

Name:  IMG_0748small.jpg
Views: 733
Size:  20.5 KB

I'd leave the patina on there if it were an older truck but with it only being a 73, I think that it would look a little more on the "eh" side than to paint it.

Wheels and suspension are a must as the white steelies must go. Unless I can do some sort of wide whites, I think I'll find a nice 20" wheel to tuck up in there. Not that that's been done before right? But it looks so damn good when done right.

Hopefully this will serve as some sort of motivation for those, who like me, were contemplating which way to go for those few years between my 54 and this one.

I know that there are more than a handful of folks here that convinced me that Squarebodys were and are the way to go!

Enjoy and Ill post more as we get there!
Ivan