The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-15-2012, 01:54 AM   #1
ivorton74

74 c10 5.3 swap questions

I want to do this swap in the future and im just doin some homework. I have a few questions about the swap especially in these early squarebody c10s.

1. So I'm gonna do a 5.3/4l60e swap.The truck has a 350/th350 combo in it now. the truck is a longbed c10. Will I have to shorten the driveshaft? It has a one piece shaft in it. Also can I use the stock trans crossmember? This will be a budget swap so I dont want to have to get a new crossmember fab'd.

2. What is the best adapter plates to use? Im trying to choose between dirty dingo and transdapt.

3. How hard it is to take the harness off the motor? Where's the best place to get the harness redone and ecm reflashed?

4. Can I use the 74 gas tank with a electric fuel pump or do I have to use one from an 87? How do I set the fuel system up?

5. I want to stick with the original 100MPH speedo instead of the 85MPH speedo from the newer trucks. How do I make this work?

6. Which headers will fit my truck without cutting the frame?

7. Im looking for some cheaper ways to get more power from the 5.3. Any suggestions?

8. Can I use my stock rad or do I need a different one? I read the fboday rads and fans can work.

Hope u guys dont think these are too many questions but I need as much info as possible. This will be the first time Im attempting something like this. I may have more questions so bear with me.
Attached Images

Last edited by ivorton74; 07-15-2012 at 02:00 AM.
ivorton74 is offline   Reply With Quote