The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-24-2012, 04:58 AM   #1
solarnick

My new ride 70 Custom Longbed

I picked up this truck about 3 months ago. Just been doing all my research on here. The PO had the truck for about 6 months before moving and the new place wouldn't let him have three cars. This had to go. It had a pretty bad knock when I got it. He had post $3000 on craigslist and after hearing it run, I got him down to $2300.

He said that the knock was because the #6 intake stud pulled out of the head. I went to the local picknpull and got another 350, factory AC compressor, and a Th400 for the grand total of $480 from a 71 C20.

I had the picknpull heads refurbished. Upon teardown of my heads, I found the cam lobes were all worn down and the PO just kept tightening the #6 intake rocker bolt to get the lash out until it just pulled it out of the head. More than 12 lobes had at least .25" worn down.

The rest of the block looks great. .030 over pistons already installed, cylinder bores are smooth and clean. At this point I'm just going through all my parts to get a baseline before I fully rebuild it.

My question is.... looking at my Quadrajet, I know I am missing all of the upper plates and choke mechanism. Should I just ditch this one? I've already bought a Edelbrock Performer EPS and Performer cam kit.

Thoughts? Yes that 454 sticker has got to go. I'm pretty happy with what I paid for a pretty clean body. Plans are to eventually bag it.
Attached Images

solarnick is offline   Reply With Quote