The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-24-2012, 11:17 PM   #1
64C10Fleet

Building My Grandfather's 64 C10

After lurking around the forum for a long time, I decided to join and share my build.

This truck has been in my family since the 60s. It belonged to my grandfather and we believe he was the original owner. I haven't taken the time to research this yet because I have been in an ugly battle with a family member over the truck for several months trying to work out an agreement on the title. As much as I sometimes hate to admit it, I come from a long line of hillbillies and interacting with some of my family members is not always easy. I digress.

The earliest photo I have of this truck was taken in 1971. My mother is seen here posing on the front of her 57 at age 18. The truck is in the background fitted with a homemade camper.

Name:  mom.jpg
Views: 5633
Size:  73.5 KB

My grandfather and I were probably the closest of his grandchildren. I spent several weeks each summer break from school with him working in the backyard on his fleet of vehicles, he had several cars and trucks dating back to the 60s.

He passed away 9 years ago and all of the vehicles were quickly picked up by my uncles and stored in their backyards. Two years ago, I went out to my uncle's land one evening during deer season to check one of my stands and I found the truck sitting in the rain under an oak tree with the windows down and rain pouring inside. I got into a huge argument with my uncle over the truck and its condition and demanded he sell it to me. He refused and I was so mad about the condition of the truck that I didn't talk to him for over a year.

Last March, I got a call from my aunt and she told me that my uncle was having some financial troubles and that I should make an offer on the truck if I still wanted it. Two weeks later, I made a deal for $2000 and picked the truck up. Here's a shot of the truck the day I picked it up:

Name:  64c10.jpg
Views: 2311
Size:  52.1 KB

My uncle wouldn't answer my call when I picked the truck up. It took me and two others 6 hours to pump up the tires and move the truck from where everything had grown up around it and onto my trailer. It rained the entire time and we got two trucks stuck in the mud in the process. My uncle would not answer his phone the entire day. We all tried calling him several times so I could pass the money off and pick up the title, but no answer. It took me four months, but I finally got the title yesterday.

Let me rewind a little... Here's a few shots of the truck the day I got it back to my house in SC.

Any idea where these hubcaps came from?

Name:  home1.jpg
Views: 2148
Size:  47.9 KB

We spent over 8 hours cleaning up the inside and outside of the truck. My uncle insisted on transporting my grandfather from the funeral home to the cemetary in this truck and had a piece of plywood thrown in the bed to cover the holes and a cheap paint job sprayed on. I told you we were hillbillies. And no, we didn't allow him to carry my grandfather in this to the cemetary, lol.

Name:  home2.jpg
Views: 2130
Size:  16.0 KB

Name:  interior.jpg
Views: 2153
Size:  36.3 KB
64C10Fleet is offline   Reply With Quote