The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-30-2012, 03:23 PM   #14
Car'n'Guitars

Re: Better Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
How far are you planning to dig into this 305? How many miles are on it?

You've mentioned pulling the engine to do the work, and pulling heads to work on them? That's alot of work and effort just to stick that 305 back in there.

If you are really set on keeping that 305 for now, I'd stick to the simple stuff like headers, performer intake, MAYBE a tiny camshaft like the performer camshaft, and a timing chain while you're in there if it's still the plastic gear OEM piece.

Otherwise I'd leave well enough alone and keep the expenditures down in the $500 range and only spend time and money on things that will transfer to a better foundation later on. Those stock cylinder heads aren't one of them so I wouldn't waste my time with them. They won't do you any favors on a 350.

For the money and time spent, it really becomes more cost effective to get a simple 350 GM goodwrench engine (Jegs has them for $1400) and I've seen them as low as $1200 if you fish around.

I know it's not what you want to hear, but 350's are so darn cheap it's hard to justify too much time and money spent on a 305,,,,with how many miles??
Yeah that's why I'm not too worried about changing the cylinder heads maybe just cleaning them up for now. All the 350's I have looked at lately on Craigslist have been really expensive and have been sitting for a while. The cheapest I seen was $1800. And most of them are built race engines because there is a lot of circle track racing around here. And I know the 350's are way better than the 305's but I don't have the extra $1400 for a new engine.
1987 Chevrolet K10 Silverado
"The Beast" build 1987 Silverado http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post6150257
Car'n'Guitars is offline   Reply With Quote