The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-02-2012, 07:21 AM   #15
MARKDTN

Re: what to look for in a replacement engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhughins View Post
when using car-parts.com how do i search for multiple years? it won't let me past the first step without putting a year in.

with TBI would i need the computer? would i have to install a fuel pump in gas tank? anything else i would have to add or do?
You can't search multiple years on Car-Part, but it will give back the applications in multiple years that work. For TBI use '95 1500 series truck. For Vortec use '99 1500 series truck. For a late carbed 350 look at '86 Caprice. A not-bad 305 to have would be '87-88 Caprice. It uses the same roller cam shortblock and heads as an IROC Camaro, but it has a q-jet instead of Tuned Port.

Yes, you need a computer and harness with TBI. I would not recommend piecing that together without buying a running vehicle. Vans are a good source, the harness is long and is very stand alone (at least before the 4L60E transmission) and can be found with lower mileage. You could put a S10 Blazer tank out back or find an external pump and use the current tank. Stock TBI and Vortec motors will easily go 200,000 miles without a rebuild.

Also, to the comment on mechanical fuel pumps. It is true that some TBI engines have the block drilled for the pump rod, some do not. I don't think I have ever seen a Vortec that was. On a TBI motor, look at where the pump goes. If it is open, it is not drilled. If it has a block-off plate, it is. I do not see any reason, other than a restoration, to use pre-'86 small-block engines. The 1 piece seal engines and the center-bolt valve covers seal SO much better. They bolt right in the same place and use the same accessories. The only thing you have to watch is intakes on the middle bolts.

After reading more comments, it seems you don't have a good place to do an engine swap. That being the case, I might not recommend a fuel injection conversion at this time. But long term for a daily driver I fully believe I could buy a van, do the conversion, sell the old stuff and some van parts (doors, wheels, column, bumpers) and crush the van and have less than $1000 in it-especially if I could find a wrecked one.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote