The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-09-2012, 10:15 PM   #11
jocko

Re: Ebay Deal? SWB Restored $12k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Could be that it is a clone Cheyenne Super that someone put on a 115 wb frame? I would pay 12k anyday for a nice restored truck, clone or no clone as long as the seller is being homest about what it started out as. My truck is a clone, it's not a Cheyenne, or even a super, or even a SWB, or even a 4wd. But as far as i'm concerned it is worth every bit of 15K or even higher. So, say a truck like mine that started out as a basic C/10 Custom LWB, and now I have taken my cab and an actual short wide bed and sat it all on a 115wb 4x4 frame, does that not make it a 4x4 SWB? Nothing has been cut, and I added the Cheyenne Super badges simply because I like the Supers. Does that really take alot away from the value? If I were ever to part with my truck I would definitely pass on the info that the truck is not a real Super, and that it is a "built" SWB 4x4. I guess what I am saying is that a truck like that with the right amount of restoration in my opinion is still worth what he is asking.
Gene - I agree completely, and that is why I mention I think this little truck is well worth it, regardless of whether or not it were a clone, lwb convert, or whatever. But you hit on the key point - YOU'D tell the seller openly whatever you did. I'm with Jonathan, as soon as a suspect fish, I don't even bother digging deeper. Even if I was looking for a clone, perfectly happy with a clone, didn't care one way or the other and thought the truck was worth more than what was asked - if I think I seller is being less than truthful, I just don't want the hassle. But I agree completely with you - it's 100% cool to build a truck however you want and enjoy it. And when someone is honest when he/she passes it along to the next owner, it's all good.

But this particular seller is adamant that it's an original cheyenne super and an uncut swb. So, is it a frame transplant without being cut - nope, SPID says 127". Is it a cab swap from a LWB onto a SWB? Maybe. But that's 2 too many no's and maybe's for me because the owner just won't bother to divulge the truth. I know sometimes folks don't know everything about their trucks - but the more I think about it, I don't doubt for a second that this guy knows exactly what I was asking about when I referenced the 127" wheelbase. If he were selling it with up front comms about why there is a 127" wheelbase SPID, it'd probably be sold already because it really is a good deal.

Meanwhile, it kinda saddens me that the term "clone" which was normally reserved for COPO Camaros and such is now associated with our old basic trucks just kills me. Barrett Jackson's revenge.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote