The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-13-2012, 07:44 AM   #1
JPBrecheisen

1962 GMC 4x4 Front Axle with disk brakes.

I've searched this forum and have seen most recommend swapping the entire front axle to something 73 and later if wanting disk brakes. I don't wish to do that, but the latest project I'm working on has had some "upgrades" to it already. Its the original closed knuckle set up, but PO had somebody put disk brakes on it. The disk brakes appear to be off an early Dana disk set up. I've read a few articles already about the differences in u-joint size, spindle length, and outer axle stub length....So here is my issue. Brakes work fine. But the knuckle seals need attention. So i started pulling everything apart. First thing i noticed when taking of the locking hub is that the axle stub doesn't protrude out past the locking hub insert to allow for the small snap-ring to be put on. Next thing is, the axle has literally no end play at all inside the spindle. I am used to these things having some end play with the outer axle snap ring installed. Anyway, I continued disassembly and once I go to the spindle and backing plate bolts off...the outer axle stub is "stuck" inside the spindle. It rotates freely, but I can't get it off. I don't see any form of retention clips of any sort. Here are some pics so you can see what I'm talking about. I sort of have a feeling the spindles and backing plates were swapped as they will "bolt on"...however I don't think the axles are the correct length. I read an article and it clearly showed the axle stups for a factory disk brake set up a a smidge longer than those that were factory drum brakes. Any tips or ideas would be helpful. I'm not opposed to the disk brakes at all...but I also want to un-frankenstien this thing so its the way it "should" be. Thanks in advance. I put the picture of the backing plate on so maybe hopefully somebody will know about what year these things came off of. The PO said "70 something".
Attached Images

JPBrecheisen is offline   Reply With Quote