The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-18-2012, 07:24 PM   #1
madeinalaska

FINALLY made a purchase

Ever since the first time I saw Dazed and Confused in High School, I've wanted a 72 Cheyenne. I entered the Navy after school, but never had the time on shore or the money to even consider a fix'er up'er. Still searched, hoped and dreamed, though!
I've been a member on here since 2007, but this was during my college days and the purchase just wasn't financially feasible, so it was more of a dreamer membership then an actual owner. At one point, I was going to purchase a 72 blazer from a gentleman in Georgia in 2007 and ship it out to Hawaii, but like I said...wasn't a smart move money-wise (even though I probably could have sold it for twice the amount plus shipping out there, but oh well.)
So I graduate from college in Alaska, get a good job, and they send me to Council Bluffs, Iowa (which is basically Omaha, NE.) Im all sorts of excited because I know there are cheap muscle cars and classics in this part of the country.
I get down here and start searching the internet for a 72 cheyenne. I find some fully restored ones about the country (within a weekend trip) that are around $12-15k. A couple weeks pass and I decide I'll look in the Omaha area for a cheyenne on Craigslist. The powers that be granted my wishes and there's a 71 Cheyenne about 8 miles from where I'm staying that has a brand new 383 Stroker in it and a VERY straight body. No dents, all brand new rubber seals, good glass, everything but wheels/tires and a paint job for $7000.
Well I used to paint P-3s in the Navy, so I'm not scared of prepping and painting a vehicle and tires/wheels are easy.
I make an agreement with the owner (a 22yo Sheriff) that I WANT it. I don't have the cash, but give me a few weeks and I promise I'll pay him cash. We shake hands (THANK YOU for people still being able to shake hands and still be proud of their word) and agree to a price of $6750 due to the horrible tires/wheels.
Time goes by, he lets me keep it at his farm, and I pay him as soon as I have the cash (which I'm eating canned tuna and rice in the meantime to save up).
Purchase made and I am a PROUD PAPA. Bought some old Chevy Rallyes from a shop in Lincoln, NE, sand 'em down, paint 'em with caliper paint and purchase 4 255/70R15 Radial TAs off of tirerack.com.
Here's the results. The 2013 is my work truck.

Sorry for the length, but I'm sure some of you guys will appreciate the story that's over 10 years in the making. Rest assured I will be contributing more and have plenty of questions/ideas/concerns/brags in the future.
madeinalaska is offline   Reply With Quote