The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-22-2012, 11:40 PM   #1
Tomahawk30

1970 C10 or 1972 Blazer

I have an opportunity to acquire a 72 Blazer from the second owner, but it would cost me my almost finished 70 C10 SWB (project Sprout in my sig). He's asking $10k cash, or we have a potential three-way trade lined up that would land me the Blazer. I know that it is a matter of taste as far as which is more desirable, and I do really like the Blazer. I own the C10 free and clear, so it is basically just a title swap if we do the trade. For reference, this is the Blazer I'm looking at:
http://portland.craigslist.org/grg/cto/3216429261.html

Here's my real hangup: NADA book value on the C10 is more than double the book value of the Blazer ($9200 vs $4225). I know that book value has little bearing on the market value of our trucks, but at the same time if the bank would loan me 9k for the C10 in a pinch, and only 4k for the Blazer, I think that it does have some extra intrinsic value. And I would think it would make it easier to sell if a buyer could actually get a loan for the sale price for a local bank (like I always use).

The Blazer is nice, about a 10 year old restoration with no issues other than needing a new fuel sending unit. Not the original color, but never lifted, uncut dash, etc... My only real hangup with the potential deal is the vast difference in book value. I'd like to hear everyone's opinion on the comparitive value of the Blazer versus that of my 72 C10 with a basic driver quality resto (all bodywork done, new paint, new engine, new interior, new wheels and tires, etc...). Would you do the deal, or would you pass? Am I making too big a deal out of the book value, or is that a legit concern?

Thanks all!

1972 C10 Custom Deluxe Highlander - sold
1971 Cheyenne Super Longhorn -sold
1972 Cheyenne Super SWB 4x4 -sold, bought back, sold again... I'm dumb.
1970 Chevy C10 SWB "Sprout" -sold
1972 Cheyenne K20 -sold
1969 GMC Shortbox Stepside 4x4 -sold
1972 GMC Jimmy 4x4 -sold
Tomahawk30 is offline   Reply With Quote