The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-23-2012, 08:48 PM   #1
tylervalo

Things I learned today

Since I bought my 85 K10 the steering wheel has been off by what I though was about 90*, and the tie rod ends were messed up (one screwed all the way in, the other all the way out). Today I learned: The pitman arm puller at Pep Boys is too small for our trucks, PB Blaster is the bomb, I need larger wrenches and sockets, pitman arms only go on one way, rag joins only go on one way, luffa's effectively remove grease from skin, what seems like a 90* problem is actually a 180* problem.

I think fixed the steering wheel issue by flipping the joint by the firewall 180*, I believe my truck is 3 1/2 turns lock to lock, until I flipped it the wheel wouldn't line up correctly when the pitman was horizontal to the box. After flipping it the wheel lined up with what I believe is center, with 1 1/4 turns both directions to lock. If I can get the stupid driver side tie rod end off tomorrow I'll know if I got it right.
tylervalo is offline   Reply With Quote