The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-27-2012, 11:26 PM   #1
neteng01

(Help) Factory Aux Tank Removal

Hi All,

Well, I seem to have hit my first real road block here....

I am just about ready to remove my bed on my 72 C20 Custom Camper. I have most everything removed and disconnected with the exception of the Factory AUX bed tank. (pictures attached) According to one of my local Chevy experts, you need to use a ratchet extension type tool and loosen the 3 mounting bolts that run all the way up through inserts in the AUX tank up to rounded bolt heads with oblong washers between the slats. So my dilemma, I sprayed my trusty liquid wrench solution to help break the frozen bolts free, let it sit for a while and gave it a shot. The result was the tool started to strip out the head of the flat threaded inserts on the bottom of the tank. So, I stopped and decided to ask the powers that be if there are any suggestions to doing this properly and as easily as possible.

I asked the expert once I hit this block and he "suggested" I heat up the bed mounted bolt heads and take the tops off them. I have two issues with that, one, there is a gas tank there....two, I am not sure if I can find the replacement bolts and inserts to put it back on. So, there we go...

Any help, suggestions or ideas are very welcome!!! As always, much appreciated...
Attached Images

<...Simplify...>
neteng01 is offline   Reply With Quote