The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-28-2012, 07:30 AM   #11
67c10rustbuket

Re: Rustbuket 67 build "Georgia"

I am a boob !! I was having shielding gas flow issue the other day not contamination. There was some buildup in my nozzle on one side so I was not getting sufficient flow when welding from right to left. Why didn't I check that ?? Duh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD1 View Post
Wish my welds looked that good. The welds around the exhaust cut out look nice. As does the frame patch.
Thanks D!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewType72 View Post
man I need to do some cutoue for my swb so I can tuck up higher oh well gotta make the money for the frame up resto in a couple years
Yeah I thought I better do the exhaust now while the frame is out in the open. I need to make some money too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxCHEVYMANxX View Post
Hey Dan, finished reading through your build. you have done some awesome fab work ! I'll be checking on your progress.
Thanks John, I am just an amatuer. Slowly but surely she will get there

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaymon View Post
are you going to box the frame? i normally put box older frames if i've had to cut them. i personally have never had a frame break around a repair ,but after all the horror stoies ive heard from people i decided it was a good just-in-case. i can see from the welds your more than capable. i've got a buddy that boxed a whole frame and turned the frame into an air tank for his bags. im not a big fan of bagged trucks, but his looks clean
Yes I was planning to box it in that section, Well the whole rear if I end up doing what I want to this truck but I need more $$$
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjcaldwe View Post
Looks good Dan. Nice job on the repair. What is the minimum size steel to use as boxing plates?
I used 3/16 (.1875) I had to use a calculator, my calipers only read decimals 3/16 is about.025"ish thicker than the frame according to my measurement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lower View Post
3/16 works fine bj
Looks good Dan, did the frame move any when you cut that section out? Thats the only fear I would have taking those dimples out.
Nope, no movement Jon, the frame is supported and I put a floor jack with a block of wood under the area while it was cut out. I was concerned as well but it measures the same now as it did before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Very nice work on the repair and the cross member. You got me wondering about mine being stout enough without brace tubes?
Posted via Mobile Device
I dont think it is really necessary for yours. I used larger pipe and think it looks cool with a pipe welded in place. If i remember correctly yours is 4" correct? I learned from you and rocket king and someone else

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lower View Post
Ive seen them done without bracing and had some serious power underhood and never had any problems mike.
Mee too, Looks cool though!!

67 SWB C10 project "GEORGIA"-59 Brookwood 2dr wag...Next project-03 Tahoe 4x4 5.3 family ride-07 Hondur Accord, commuter car
67c10rustbuket is offline   Reply With Quote