The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-07-2012, 04:15 PM   #1
MattPSU

Fuel Line / Pump Questions

My new Boyd Welding tank is scheduled to arrive next week and I'm trying to plan the fuel lines for it. I've decided to run stainless steel braided lines. From the tank it's not a problem, but I'm using the stock style fuel pump that's just a flanged connection with a clamp. Can I use the braided lines on that connection along with a clamp? I think one is smaller, so I expect that to be a potential issue as well (3/8" in and 5/16" for the return). Any help/suggestions here is appreciated.

OR...

I started to look into putting an Edelbrock pump on as I plan to replace the Q-Jet with an Edelbrock 1406 and I know it'll run better with the pressure regulated. (I don't really need a new pump as I just replaced it earlier this year but the carb has to go...) So I'll need to drop $100 for their pump, or add a regulator at that point. I'm thinking adding the pump now might be a better idea since it's 3/8" in and out. The problem then becomes the fact that this pump has no return. Do I need a return? Not running a second braided line makes paying $100 for a new pump a lot easier.

Also, should I run a filter between the tank and the pump? Or should it be between the pump and the carb? Or both?

While I'm asking...Are you guys running a shut off valve? Should I add a shut off or not?

Thanks in advance for the help. The knowledge gained from this board is un-measurable! - Matt

1972 Chevy Cheyenne SWB - Build: Porterbuilt State 1 Front & Rear, Bolt in Notch, McGaughys 2.5 Drop Spindles, Boyd Welding Fuel Tank

UPSTATE SC GM TRUCK CLUB: FACEBOOK WEBSITE
MattPSU is offline   Reply With Quote