The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-08-2012, 05:14 PM   #1
Houses

DIY Roll On Bed Liner

Hey everyone i just cleaned up my bed and put in Herculiner instead of painting it and want to let everyone see how it turned out. first off my bed had a lot of rust through out the bed so i decided to just sand down to metal before doing anything else. used a combination of a sanding wheel and wire brush on a grinder to do so.

i just liked the way the truck looked here and wanted to throw it in for you guys. not sure if it will be in the front yard again.

ok so here is about half the rust removed.

before the day was over we layed down some primer. its not required before applying liner but i had a can of primer laying around and figured might as well. since it didnt need to be pretty we just layed it down a brush. i think the bed looked good white. almost considered leaving it white.

the next i got to applying the liner. not bad to work with just a pain to get off skin if you wait too long. the other problem i found was the roller coming undone. the ones included in the kit are plastic. maybe a couple more would be better. we didnt get done with the first coat until 8pm and it says to wait at least an hour between coats. that dragged us into the night a little later than we expected. heres a pic of the first coat and my helper.

the third day we put the finishing touches on the liner and filled in the spots we missed.

i think it turned out ok. better than having a rusty bed. texture seemed to get extra rough with the roller coming undone.
Houses is offline   Reply With Quote