The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-10-2012, 10:01 PM   #1
billetproofcustoms

resto or not??? original 66 shortbed project

ok,
so here goes, this is an original one owner 66 chevy shortbed. it was my grandpa's west texas farm truck, he passed away back in the early 80's, and it has been with my aunt and uncle ever since. it only has 94,000 original miles on it, numbers matching truck, and has been "restored" ....that was early 90's. The resto was done pretty well, but it is now showing age, and has been sitting for the last 5 years in a carport covered with a tarp. as you can see, the paint still looks pretty good, 2 tone green and white. I just picked it up today, so i have not been able to ID the motor as a 283 or 327. It has (I think) a 2bbl carb on it. it got too dark outside...

My question is this: resto #2? or leave it be and make it driveable? The body is str8, with a very tiny amount of underlying rust on the driver door, otherwise, it is virtually rust free, with the exception of surface rust, etc...minor. No cab corner issues, or any other typical rust like you would normally see on these trucks. It has been taken care of..mostly.The paint looks really good, a couple of small scratches here and there, but no dents, warps, etc.

Now for the good part, it was given to me! I paid $50 to rent a car hauler to get it home...pretty good deal if you ask me..

Back to the point...resto or not?
Its already not orignal in the "pure" sense of the word, because the paint is not original, seat upholstery is not original, etc, etc. I dont see selling it as it was my grandpa's. I have fond memories of riding/playing in it as a litlle kid, I even drove it once or twice back in the 80's.

I do know what im doing as far as resto's and mechanics, as I have done this type of thing a hundred times in the past, so that makes it kind of hard for me to leave it alone, because it does need things, new body rubber, dry rotted tires, greasy motor, and the tranny is out ( powerglide). My issue is once I get going on something like this, I cant stop...lol

opinions??
billetproofcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote