The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-11-2012, 07:02 PM   #1
shok

Aaaaaaaah! it keeps stalling!

I'm gonna try to give all the facts I have, it may be info overload but I don't want to leave anything out.
1966 250 inline 6.
I went out today for an errand and as I stopped to turn left it stalled, but since I was in gear I let the clutch back out and it restarted. This happened a bunch of times when I first bought the truck one day a couple of months ago and I thought it was fuel sloshing away from the pick up but to check I pressed the clutch in while driving and it dies instantly unless I give it gas. Its easier to restart if I give it some choke and throttle, I thought hey maybe my skull mask under the war helmet was a bad idea after all, (see pics) so I pull over and remove that and while I'm at it look for the idle speed screw and bump it up a bit.
Back on the road without the mask and all seems well, then its starts to stall while moving and then pick up again, off and on over and over again, I barely get to a parking lot and get it restarted, since I'm parked illegally I move to a new legal spot with a bit of choke in and pop the hood.
I had something like this happen years ago on a Mustang and it was a restriction in the fuel line and I only figured that out after adding a fuel pressure gauge to the system. To try and fix things I pulled the air cleaner and revved the motor and then smothered it dead with a rag, using the vacuum to hopefully pull any crud out of the way. It didn't give me any trouble after that on the drive home but I took it easy on her and was pretty cautious the whole way.
Other than the air filter set up and the cherry bomb muffler its stock. I've added some pics for carb identification and the air filter set up, I don't think any of this was caused by an air restriction issue but for the time being its using the cone only while I figure this out.
Ideas?

Current plan:
  • Verify that the carb inlet filter is there and not all gunked up.
  • Maybe pull the top of the carb and check overall condition, supposedly it was rebuilt not that long ago.

I already have a fuel cell with a rear facing sump and whether I go with a better I6 or a V8 there will be a 4 barrel under the hood one way or the other, so if anyone knows the AN fittings I would need to connect a steel braided line from the cell to the stock pump and from the pump to the current carb that would help me with some prep work for future mods while fixing the current issue. I'd also would want to plumb in a fuel pressure gauge on the cowl, overkill I know but I like engine communication.
Attached Images