The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-18-2012, 10:47 PM   #1
random hero

I'm Back... And looking for advice on project direction (randomhero472)

Hey all, been years since I've been on the forums. Some of you might remember me, my old screen name which I can't log into was Randomhero472 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/member.php?u=22361

You might also remember the soap opera that was Carlos & him ripping a couple of us off back in 2007 (I think). Since I've been on last (sometime in 2008) I sold my project truck, moved to Colorado and own rental properties.. which brings me back on, I just bought a fairly clean 67 c10 to use a SHOP TRUCK

Thanks to all the guys who've posted pics in the "shop truck & patina thread" I got the itch and bought another truck, only this one is running and in pretty good shape. I'm torn on the direction to go w/the project. My issue is, the truck has a long bed that was cut down to short bed length, but when welded up it warped a bit.... So it's a bit of an eye sore (pics tomorrow). I'm not looking for a Goodguys show quality truck, this thing will be driven daily, haul trash, tools, whatever. My plan is to have a truck that looks clean and cool, but if it's scratched I won't lose sleep. It'll have my storage business logo on the door, 20's, 5/6 lowering kit, nothing else super fancy.

Part of me wants to sand it down, have the bed body-worked and paint it w/a nice single stage paint... The other, just leave it alone and drive it. It's just the bed, it looks BAD in it's current state.

A guy I work with on the fire department offered to do the bodywork on the bed for me at night, $15/hour which seems reasonable. The cab, doors & hood are in damn good shape, just needs sanding, I'll replace both front fenders. I think I could have the truck sanded, and painted for around $1000 which I'm OK with... If that's a realistic number. Bodyshop I rent space to said $2500-$3000 for them to prep it and paint w/urethane paint. I just want to keep it a "low-buck" style build. It runs great, was driven daily by previous owner... nothing fancy. Thoughts?
random hero is offline   Reply With Quote