The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-14-2003, 12:58 PM   #1
COBALT

3/4 ton overload springs...

I just used them for the first time by complete accident. I've got a 3/4 ton '69 C20 with coils and overloads option.

I had the rubble from my basement floor to haul to the dump (I'm putting in some drains for a bathroom in the basement, and had to cut trenches in the floor).

Basically I had three piles of broken concrete pieces you can move with a shovel (1" thick pour), with some dirt and gravel mixed in. As I dumped it into the truck it looked like about 1/2 a yard - not even that. I finished it off with the old busted concrete laundry sink I tore out of the wall.

The truck looked like it was settled right, but I didn't take note of the suspension at all. I got in and everything seemed ok. The rear didn't seem like it was sinking very much.

I get to the dump, took care of business, and as I returned to the scale the guy tells me I just dumped 1800 lbs!!! HOLY CRAP. I pulled over once I left the dump, and checked my rear suspension. Everything was fine, but there were shiny spots on those overloads where the rubber pads on the trailing arms had connected with them.

Wow. I had no idea it was that heavy, and wouldn't have hauled that much weight in one trip had I known. The most I've ever hauled at that point was 1000 lbs. I just blew that out of the water. Anyone else think this is something to be surprised about, or am I just being a weenie?
Seattle, WA.
COBALT is offline   Reply With Quote