The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-24-2012, 09:14 PM   #1
71swb4x4

Garage size, 3 stall with hoist, size limitations

I am building a garage at my house. This will be my only garage. Our city has size limitations, 900 square feet is the max. I want three stalls, with a lift in one of the stalls. I hope to go two stories, with the story above the lift open, and storage and work area above the other two stalls. The style of lift is open still, leaning toward 2 post, but 4 post is not out of the question.

I would like three of our vehicles in the garage, a Saturn sedan, 2005 Chevrolet K2500 extended cab long box, and a 2005 Chevy Express cargo van with a ladder rack on top. I am thinking maybe sneak the lift as far forward as comfortable in one of the stalls, and that stall the Saturn will park in. In the future the cargo van will probably move to a "work" shop; the future might mean 3 years, or it might mean 10 years. At that point the third stall would be for a fun vehicle such as a Blazer.

The 900 ft is killing me. I would like a 48 x 32 garage, but that isn't happening. It looks like a 36' x 24' is about the best I can do.

The pickup is 20.5' long.
The van is 7'9" tall with the ladder on it.

I am thinking 10' wide x 8' high garage doors. I would like to go higher on the door, but I don't want it to look like a commercial garage; I want it to blend into the neighborhood. The clearance is tight on the van, but I think in the effort of looking nice we will have to have that concession.

So what do you all think? Will 36' work with a lift? Will the 10x8 garage doors be OK? That sure doesn't leave much room between doors.
What style of lift would be best?