The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-26-2012, 12:07 AM   #1
Snake41_83

My 'kinda' finished K5

Here are some pics of my K5. Purchased the truck in November of last year while I was still in Germany (got my dad and brother-in-law to go pick it up for me in Kansas City). It was in pretty good shape when I bought it, some rust in the typical spots and requiring a little mechanical work. The PO had apparently been tweaking the carb and lit the thing on fire. A large section of paint had bubbled off the hood, so he must have gotten it pretty hot. New carb, rebuilt 350 transmission, new headers to fix the pretty substantial exhaust leak with the old junk ones, basically totally new cooling system to fix an overheating problem that turned out to apparently be a bad guage, new tires to replace the dry-rotted old ones, new distributor cap/rotor/ignition coil/module, and currently in the shop to repair the currently busted Vintage Air AC.

Finally got the old girl back from the paint and body shop last week. Unfortunately, I haven't been doing a very good job of taking pictures during this process, but my body and paint guy took a few pictures of the repair process that I will post when I get 'em. I originally wanted to do the body work and paint myself, but as I've never done it before and this is my daily driver, decided it would be faster to have a pro do it.

Got all the new interior parts from LMC (radio from Best Buy). New sound/heat mats under all the carpet, rebuilt instrument cluster, seats out of a junked '03 Tahoe, original bed side panels, and other random repro parts from LMC.

Pretty psyched with the way it turned out. Still need to redo all the seats (just an O'Reilly's seat cover on the original back seat, it is a little rough underneath), thinking about some custom side panels in the back to mount those 6x9's, pre-positioned amp wiring under the back seat for a future sound-system expansion, and hopefully a 3 or 4 inch suspension lift and rebuilt front end in the future.

Still need to put the dorr sill plates in and the trim on the tailgate. The old tailgate was rusted beyond repair so it is a new tailgate with no holes for the trim. Not sure how to put the holes in it for the trim now without screwing up my paint Also thinking of putting black molding around it in the future, but haven't decided on that yet.

So now the old girl is rust free and running like a top. Gotta say I'm happy with it so far. BTW, it started out Yellow, but I couldn't bring myself to drive a yellow truck every day.
Attached Images