The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-26-2012, 06:40 PM   #1
droppedgmc
Truck Enthusiast

Cluster swap with some issues...opinions needed

So I recently picked up a new gauge cluster for my 81'. The truck had dummy lights and I wanted oil, w/ temp and volts since im using it as my DD. So I found a new cluster from an 84' diesel. swapped my fuel/ MPH gauge into it. Repined my harness per the schematic. Replaced water temp switch with sending unit. added a "T" with oil sending unit.

The problem is the water temp is reading hot. Motor has new water pump/ T stat and full of coolant. I can grab both hoses and they feel fine. I've tested the T-stat, it opens @ 180°. I've also tried 3 different guages, they all read the same. 225°+.

Also I can't get the oil pressure gauge to read correctly. Its always pinned full pressure. Everything is wiredas per schematic for "gauges".

Could all this be caused because of the circuit print from the diesel? Do I need a gas printed circuit board?

Thanks for any help