The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-02-2012, 08:39 PM   #1
rcg66

Been lurking for awhile, Thought I'd share

I have been visiting the site for awhile and have found a lot of great inspiration and information here. The story of my 66 Longbed Fleetside started 12 years ago when I found the truck sitting beside a barn while my daughter was taking piano lessons. I had started on a 66 Stepside, but it was so far gone that the cost of getting it even close to driveable was way out of the question. The longbed was really solid with very little rust, and it was a much more doable project. I brought it home, and with visions of building a frame off show quality truck, began tearing it down to the frame.
Well, with 5 children, there it sat in my garage, in pieces, for all these years. Now that the last of our children has gone off to college, I got the urge to revisit the truck. Doing the math, and my abilities, I have decided to go with a daily driver and work on it as I go. We have 2 children still in college, and boy is it expensive, so my budget is limited. The truck had a 350 in it already and the front brakes were switched over to discs.
As you can see in the picture, I have made a lot of progress in putting it back together. I find it a great escape to go out and fiddle with it, and with making it a daily driver, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I don't think I will ever get it to the point that some of you have gotten to, but I can't wait to finally be able to drive it. I am amazed at the trucks I have seen on the site, and the incredible craftsmanship that goes into making them that way.
Attached Images

rcg66 is offline   Reply With Quote