The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-02-2012, 08:48 PM   #1
shtnangiten

How can I build 454 for low RPM Power/Torque?

I have a 4x4 project that I opted to use a 454 for torque. It is a 1979 out of a 1 ton Camper Special, and has the huge factory oil filter, and external oil cooler. I have not torn it down yet, so I am not sure if it is a oval or rectangular port, or if it is a 4 or 2 bolt main. I have built several SBC engines, a Pontiac 400 & a 455. I have never opened up a 454, nor do I know a lot about them. I had a 2 wd version of the same truck many years ago with the 454 that was bone stock and I was very impressed with the power available. I am hoping to build one that is better, and more efficient than stock. My intended use with this engine is with a 700R4, built for heavy towing, and I am hoping I can come up with a plan to be able to tow my RV trailer in OD at about 1600 rpm without having to shift it down very often. My RV trailer weighs in at 7000 lbs max. Any ideas on what to do with a build to reach my goals?
shtnangiten is offline   Reply With Quote